Sunday, March 9, 2008

Elder Interviews

Praful Patel (My Father)
"How have you lived the American Dream?"




12 April, 2008
7:12 P.M. (Living Room)

“Achieving the American Dream has been tough to obtain, however I believe I am on the verge of truly enjoying the fruits of labor. As a young child I always looked to have a good job in order to make my parents proud. I did not grow up to a wealthy family and therefore I had to earn my way through education. My early aspirations began in Africa where I resided during my childhood. My teachers did not care very much for me, and therefore I had to try my best to stand out. Time passed and through my hard work I earned a scholarship to the University of Birmingham. This had been the college where I earned my degree in Cardiology after performing my duties in residency and fellowship. Life was tough after I began my job, as I did not receive a good income in addition to experiencing a harsh lifestyle. As I looked to achieve a prominent job and lifestyle to provide to my family with, I decided to take a chance and travel to America. America was a new atmosphere in which I was not accustomed to and therefore it proved to be a hard task to survive. My journey took me to many places until I finally settled in Wilmington, NC. As I look upon these past events, I can safely say they were all worth it. To this day, I have enjoyed all the benefits of my hard work and I look to retire shortly. I must say that I truly endured a variety of experiences in order to reach my American Dream.”

Purnima Patel (My Mother)
"How have you lived the American Dream?"

12 April, 2008

8:21 P.M. (Kitchen)

“Ever since my birth, I have enjoyed everyday of my life. During my childhood I always looked to try my best everyday. I was brought up by kind and loving parents; however, I was stuck under the belief that Indian women were only meant to perform domestic duties rather that obtaining jobs. Therefore as a child it was my dream to have a comfortable lifestyle with a loving family. It took many years before I could obtain such a way of lifestyle. I was initially born in Africa where I attended school with my sister and brother. After many years passed I met my husband and moved to America where life was hard. It took me several years to adjust to the new atmosphere as well as the food. Early in my marriage I had to work as an X-Ray technician alongside with my husband in the hospital. After years passed we achieved a gracious lifestyle in which we had finally become stable. After reminiscing about all the past events that occurred within my life I have truly come to appreciate the lifestyle I experience to this day. I must say that I am fully experiencing my American Dream and I am thankful for the life I have been gifted with."

Naranjibhai Patel
"How have you lived the American Dream?"

12 April, 2008

8:47 P.M (On the Phone)

“It has always been my dream to achieve a good lifestyle in America. As a child I grew up in India and Africa and looked to pursue a better lifestyle in America and be close to my children. It took many years to receive a better life in America as I was faced with much discrimination and competition. It was very hard to provide support to my five children and therefore I had to try my best in America. After years passed I finally settled down as a manager of a hotel and therefore I was provided with free accommodations. After twenty years my children all graduated and I had finally achieved my American Dream as becoming a successful parent. I was glad to have fostered an efficient sense of growth within my children. To this day, I live with my children in great environments which I am truly proud of. I can safely say that I am living the American Dream as I have great lifestyle in the country of America."

Self-Reflection on Interviews
Subsequent to my interviews, I took the time to explore the similarities and differences between my elders’ interviews, and as a result I found that life is not always an attempt to become rich and famous, but instead a dedication to a mindset and the ability to accomplish it. Thus after interviewing my elders, I came to understand the many different perspectives that occurred within their lifestyles. As a son, I came to understand the many challenges and hardships life presented; however, if such obstacles were overcome, life could present the fruits of labor. As I conversed with my elders I came to find that my elders possessed their own ideals and goals in order to become successful in my mind. Similarly I came to understand that true goals come from emotional and mental accomplishments rather than the attainment of tangible objects. Therefore a goal is not what other people can percept; however, instead a persons own ability to achieve his or hers own goal. Overall, through my interviews with my elders, I have come to understand that goals are not always a uniform mindset, but instead a goal that one looks to achieve for self purposes.
(Interview Video)

1 comments:

s.khatib said...

Nikhil, interesting interviews you conducted about the American Dream. I found the responses for your father and your mother quiet similar. Overall your interviews were well down and it truly captivated my interest.