Sunday, March 30, 2008

Of Plymouth Plantation


An excerpt from Of Plymouth Plantation:

"After they had enjoyed fair winds and weather for a season, they were encountered many times with cross winds and met with many fierce storms with which the ship was soundly shaken, and her upper works made very leaky; and one of the main beams in the mid-ship was bowed and cracked, which put them in some fear that the ship could not be able to perform the voyage. So some of the chief of the company, perceiving the mariners to fear the insufficiency of the ship as appeared by their mutterings, they entered into serious consultation with the master and other officers of the ship, to consider in time of the danger, and rather to return than to cast themselves into a desperate and inevitable peril. And truly there was great distraction and difference of opinion amongst the mariners themselves; fain would they do what could be done for their wages’ sake (being now near half the seas over) and on the other hand they were loath to hazard their lives too desperately. But in examining of all opinions, the master and others affirmed they knew the ship to be strong and firm under water; and for the buckling of the main beam, there was a great iron screw the passengers brought out of Holland, which would raise the beam into his place; the which being done, the carpenter and master affirmed that with a post put under it, set firm in the lower deck and otherwise bound, he would make it sufficient. And as for the decks and upper works, they would caulk them as well as they could, and though with the working of the ship they would not long keep staunch, yet there would otherwise be no great danger, if they did not over-press her with sails. So they committed themselves to the will of God and resolved to proceed."
Bradford, William. "Of Plymouth Plantation", 14 June 2004. 16 March 2008
<http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/english/coke/bradford.htm>

Self-Reflection

The passage, Of Plymouth Plantation, truly encompassed the variety of hardships in which the white settlers were encumbered with on their journey to freedom in the new lands of America. Initially I chose this piece of work as it depicted the harsh brutalities that the new settlers had to overcome in order to be relieved from economic and religious persecution. As a reader of the passage, the words and emphasis used to describe the nature of life on the Mayflower were unparalleled as it I could experience many of the hardships the settlers faced. Furthermore, the author of the passage explicitly aimed to explain the many hardships the white settlers were to face ranging from: the harsh storms at sea to the raids of Native Indians. As a result I truly find this piece as a great example of the American Dream, as settlers traveled to North America in hopes to find a better life and method of living. Therefore, I was truly amazed at the willpower and physical strength that the early settlers possessed. Likewise it was seen that, the white settlers were ready to lose valued persons in order to be liberated from the political and economic persecutions from their old lands. As a reader of the 21st century, I myself can relate this experience to the countless immigrants who take refuge in the United States in order to strive for the “American Dream”. Thus I must relate this story to the American Dream of achieving a new level of life, in order to provide a better standard of living.

Dear Diary,

January 28, 1622

My name is Edward Sumner and I have just arrived in these new lands known as America after traveling across the vast body of water known as the Atlantic Ocean. The god has provided me with great spirits and will power as it was his intention to allow me to survive such a brutal expedition. I could remember two weeks into the fierce journey of how I was made to suffer the putrid stench and the sights of people suffering from dysentery and tuberculosis. In addition to these terrible sights of death, we were meant to suffer the great storms and winds brewing at sea. God has provided me with the ultimate protection as I am still here to write about the perils in which I have faced out at sea. To this day I am thankful for the provisions that have been provided to me and I hope to prosper along with my friends and family.

As I have reached the land of America, I have faced many struggles and hardships between fellow settlers involving disputes between territories for construction. On my journeys outward I have witnessed people of brown color. At first I was frightened however I came to realize that these were the inhibitors of the land and they were known as Native Indians. I ask myself, “Do they Come in peace, or do they mean to do us harm?” I pray to god everyday hoping that all will work out and that peace will occur between these colored peoples and us. As the days continue I have found many of my fellow settler to be captured and raided by these people, and I fear that if the conditions worsen that we will not be able to live in peace. If such is to happen then it would god’s will for us to remain in our homelands. I thank god for the great spirits that he has provided us with on this perilous journey and settlement and oh how I wish for the best of luck.

The Mayflower

(An Adaptation of an Artist as the
Mayflower nears Cape Cod)



A Politcal Extension

3 comments:

s.khatib said...

Nikhil, I believe you wrote an interesting reflection that articulated about the times and tribunes of the first Pilgrims arrival into the New World. One aspect that stuck out was your interesting word choice and variation in sentence structure. Likewise I found that your societal representation parallels to the Pilgrims journey. I believe that your representation was effectively done. I would however like for you in your self-reflection to write a little bit more about the emotions that were evoked for you. In all said and done, your writing was clearly organized and I truly believe you were able to relate with the Pilgrims during the time.

P.S. Thanks for notifying me about Dalton’s situation.

Nikhil Patel said...

Thanks, I do agree with your statements as I looked to exemplify the lify during the Puritan Era as the ventured into the new world known as "America". I have taken your words into consideration, and have revised my diary and reflection and have taken the place of one within the Puritan Era. I also think strongly of your Blogspot as you have truly articulated the lifes of Pilgrims in their new journey.

DRiggs said...

Your much more in your chracter now which I really like. You mention god alot which for a Puritan peace is important so good job. I do think we learned more of your character but you metion what was said in the story I would like to see an exstention of your chracters experiances over all good job.